Monday, May 19, 2008

passerby

Title: Chestnut Lane Artist: Gregory Wilhelmi You're me in the way. I used to Walk so, without looking up. Stop, passerby! Don't refuse to. I beg and I pray you - stop! You'll read, as you lay the glowing Red blossoms on the mound of grass: Marina. And then more slowly: The dates - of my birth and death. Yes, there is a grave, but leave it And haunt you I won't, no fear. I too, you can well believe it, Once laugh in the midst of tears. The blood through my veins coursed freely, The locks curled around my face. Stop, passerby! Can't you feel it? I too, passerby, once was. A strawberry. Pluck it, eat it! It's there, near the very ground. No berries are ever sweeter Then those in a graveyard found. But only no gloom, no tightly Closed lips, do not brood or fret. Think lightly on me, and lightly My name, passerby, forget. The sun's dust-like beams caress you, Your shoulders and head they lave. Please don't let the voice distress you That comes to you from grave.
*** Идешь, на меня похожий, Глаза устремляя вниз. Я их опускала - тоже! Прохожий, остановись! Прочти, - слепоты куриной И маков набрав букет, - Что звали меня Мариной И сколько мне был лет. Не думай, что здесь могила, Что я появлюсь, грозя... Я слишком сама любила Смеяться, когда нельзя, И кровь приливала к коже, И кудри мои вились... Я тоже была, прохожий! Прохожий, остановись! Сорви себе стебель дикий И ягоду - ему вслед. Кладбищенской земляники Крупнее и слаще нет, Но только не стой угрюмо, Главу опустив на грудь. Легко обо мне подумай, Легко обо мне забудь. Как луч тебя освещает! Ты весь в золотой пыли... И пусть тебя не смущает Мой голос из-под земли.

No comments: