Saturday, March 21, 2009


okan
Timeline (1758 - 1831)
English version by Stephen Mitchell

First days of spring -- the sky
First days of spring -- the skyis bright blue, the sun huge and warm.Everything's turning green.Carrying my monk's bowl, I walk to the villageto beg for my daily meal.The children spot me at the temple gateand happily crowd around,dragging to my arms till I stop.I put my bowl on a white rock,hang my bag on a branch.First we braid grasses and play tug-of-war,then we take turns singing and keeping a kick-ball in the air:I kick the ball and they sing, they kick and I sing.Time is forgotten, the hours fly.People passing by point at me and laugh:"Why are you acting like such a fool?"I nod my head and don't answer.I could say something, but why?Do you want to know what's in my heart?From the beginning of time: just this! just this!

No comments: