Tuesday, March 4, 2008

anna akhmatova

anna akhmatova

Dark my veil. Hands clenched painfully, tightly. "Why so white-faced?""To think, just to think! It was I made him to drink; of the biting Wine of sorrow I forced him to drink.
"How forget? Out he staggered with failing Strength, and face oddly twisted and grim. I ran down without touching the handrail, To the gateway I ran aftre him.
"'Please don't go!' I gasped out. 'I was only Jesting... Please!.. Or I'll die...' With a blind, With a terrible smile, almost tonelessly, He brought out 'Do not stand in the wind'"
1911. By Anna Akhmatova. Translated by Irina Zheleznova. ShowMenu();


blessed

Russian OrthodoxProsperity is the blessing of the Old Testament;Adversity is the blessing of the New.- Francis Bacon, Of Adversity


anup jalota
Man is saved by love and duty, and by the hope that springs from duty, or rather from the moral facts of consciousness, as a flower springs from the soil.- Henri-Frederic Amiel


promise of living

The Promise of Living 05:47 Let us live then, and be glad While young life's before us After youthful pastime had, After old age had and sad, Earth will slumber over us. Unattributed Author, (John Addington Symonds' translation)

No comments: