Wednesday, November 26, 2008




Lost in myselfI reappearedI know not wherea drop that rosefrom the sea and felland dissolved again;a shadowthat stretched itself outat dawn,when the sunreached noonI disappeared.I have no newsof my comingor passing away--the whole thinghappened quickerthan a breath;ask no questionsof the moth.In the candle flameof his faceI have forgottenall the answers.In the way of lovethere must be knowledgeand ignoranceso I have becomeboth a dullardand a sage;one must bean eye and yetnot seeso I am blindand yet I stillperceive,Dustbe on my headif I can saywhere Iin bewildermenthave wandered:Attarwatched his hearttranscend both worldsand under its shadownow is gone madwith love.Farid ud-Din Attar
-- from The Drunken Universe: An Anthology of Persian Sufi Poetry, Translated by Peter Lamborn Wilson / Translated by Nasrollah Pourjavady

No comments: